Friday, May 8, 2020

Tales of Link, main story: 2.7.02 - Your Hiding Place, End

decided on a... stylistic thing to make a certain difference clearer. (it appears in this scene, you'll see.) I'll be updating past translations where this happens to reflect it!

Tales of Link
Starlight Sinking Into the Blue
Chapter 7: Feelings Sunk in the Blue
Scene 2: Your Hiding Place, End
raw video link here!


I trade words with the girl skipping energetically in front of me.
She said she loves to talk.
Girl: You know, I really really love talking with Mommy and Daddy and my big brother.
Link: You really love your family.
Girl: Yeah! Lots and lots. I love them. That's why I'll be a good girl.
Link: A good girl…?
Girl: One time we went to a festival in Clariye. I got lost.
Girl: Daddy told me to hold on tight to his hand… but then I saw a shop selling really pretty candy…
Girl: And then I ended up alone. I was crying in the park. "Don't leave me."
Don't leave her…
Girl: It's 'cause I didn't listen to Daddy… I thought they left 'cause I was a bad girl.
Link: But then your dad hugged you, right?
Knowing him, I'm sure he did.
Girl: Yeah! That's right. He was really happy. But I was very sorry for being bad too.
Girl: So I decided not to do anything bad to the people I love!
Girl: I'm gonna be a good girl so they don't get sad or unhappy!
When she looks back at me, her smile is as bright as the sun.
But her expression suddenly clouds over.
Girl: But then… something scary happened with the family I love so much.
Something's a little off.
She's just a little different from the girl I was talking with before.
Maybe the memories she was speaking of have advanced a little closer to the present.
Girl: My brother grew up and started fighting with Dad.
Girl: My brother wanted to leave and become an adventurer.
Girl: Dad wanted my brother to succeed the family business. So then they ended up fighting a lot.
Girl: Mom would laugh and say what will be, will be.
Girl: But whenever that happened, I would get really scared, not knowing what was going to happen to our family.
Girl: Would we end up separated? Would someone go away? I was so scared I couldn't sleep at night.
Girl: I didn't want anyone to leave. Dad, and Mom, and my brother. I wanted to be with all of them.
Girl: So every day, I thought about how I could make us all smile together again.
Girl: And then I found my answer. I would talk a lot with everyone and help out with their work.
Girl: See, if they were tired, they got annoyed, and then they would start getting upset about other things too.
Girl: So the opposite had to be true too. If they were already happy about something else, then maybe...
Girl: I thought maybe they wouldn't fight so much.
Girl: I listened to Dad's thoughts.
Girl: I listened to my brother's dreams.
Girl: I listened to Mom's worries.
Girl: And I helped with their work, since it would be better if they could take it easy.
Girl: Everyone told me "thank you." They said they were glad I was there.
Girl: I was relieved. I thought, "The people I love aren't going anywhere."
The girl's feelings are becoming clear--
But they're still submerged.
"But then," the girl continues.
Girl: But even then, Dad and my brother would still fight sometimes… and Mom would tell me to go to my room…
Girl: Then I would curl up in my futon, miserable and crying, and wait for time to pass.
Girl: The day after that, I would throw myself into the ocean and swim to my secret base on this island.
Suddenly, when I look around--
We've left the path and come out into a cove.
On a corner of the beach is a small roofed space, big enough for one child, built from grass and branches.
This is her secret base.
Girl: This is my place. There's no reason for adults to come here, and I'm the only one of the children from the village who can swim this far.
The girl says proudly.
Girl: I really like swimming -- or, well, moving my body.
Girl: It feels like all my misery and sadness just melt away.
Girl: When I come to this island, I calm down, and I go to my favorite place alone. ...It's farther down from my secret base.
Link: ...not here?
Girl: Nope, over there.
The girl points to the cove in front of us.
Girl: The floor of this cove is really pretty. I hold my breath and dive into the cove. Going deep, deep underwater.
Girl: Then I look up at the sky from under the water.
Girl: There's no one around me. I'm enveloped by water, alone, gazing at the light as it shines through.
Girl: I don't want to be alone -- but this place exists so I can be alone to submerge my feelings.
Girl: I can cheer myself up in the water here.
Sara: "I can't lose heart." "If I don't work hard, everyone will leave me." "I have to try harder." Things like that.
Sara: That's how… I would sink my heart. I would hide in my secret base… and try my hardest.
Sara: Over time, my dad and brother started to accept each other.
Sara: We returned to being a warm and loving family.
Sara: Everyone said to me, "Thank you."
Sara: ...I was really happy. From the bottom of my heart, I was relieved.
Sara: It happened because I tried so hard. If I hadn't tried hard, if I'd gotten discouraged, there's no telling what would've happened.
Sara: Because I tried so hard -- no one left me.
Sara: If I hadn't tried hard -- if I hadn't been useful to everyone -- I would've lost them.
Sara: The words "thank you" supported me.
Sara: Then if it wasn't for that… if I hadn't been worth being thanked… would my wish still have come true?
Sara: If those words hadn't existed, would I have ended up alone?
Sara: I'm… so scared… and that's why. That's why.
Sara: "I have to try my very best."
After she's told me everything she's thinking--
The girl's figure disappears from sight.
Just as if -- she feels she shouldn't be here.
Her heart disappears.

Link: ...If this is… the self that you've remembered…
Where is your heart now?
It must be--
With my thoughts far away, I begin walking toward the quiet cove laid out before me.

No comments:

Post a Comment