Tuesday, April 28, 2020

Tales of Link, main story: 2.6.05 - Evil on the Highest Floor, Start

Tales of Link
Starlight Sinking Into the Blue
Chapter 6: To Where You Are
Scene 5: Evil on the Highest Floor, Start
raw video link here!


On the highest floor--
We open the imposing door.
Beyond it lies a large open space. And a huge magic device.
The lines extending from the magic device connect to the giant crystal on the other side of the terrace.
From what we can see from the outside, it really is part of the magic device.
Kana: It's like… that ritual room…
She's right.
When I think about what's supposed to happen here, it makes sense.
Those Seeds too.
That ritual too.
Even Nidhogg too.
All sorts of disasters that have hurt people can be traced back to this family.
In other words.
Feil: Welcome. I've been waiting.
If we don't defeat him, the cycle of malice will never truly be broken.
Link: Feil…!
Feil gazes at us with a twisted smile as he stands against us.
Feil: ...three of you… Link, the fairy, and the failure.
Kana responds firmly to Feil's cruel words.
Kana: ...I destroyed your ambitions by being a failure. I'm proud of it.
Feil seems to find her words of little interest and ignores her, instead turning to look at me.
Feil: You're short a few people… it doesn't seem like they were killed along the way. They're holed away somewhere looking for an opening, aren't they?
Feil: They're looking for an opening to take back this girl and her sight, so they can take away my advantage.
Feil: Zephyr, Yuri, and that woman… all of them are skilled, but don't think they'll be able to work effectively under my surveillance.
...Now that we've come this far, there's no point wondering just how much of our plan he's seen through.
We'll just do all we can.
Feil: Well, it's fine. Link. You're the only one I need for this festival.
Feil: ...you're after the girl, right? She's over here.
He gestures to the heart of the magic device, and I focus my attention away from Feil.
Our precious friend is standing there.
Link: Sara!
Sara: ...Link…
Sara reacts to the sound of my voice and turns to face me…
Link: --!
Her eyes are darker and more despairing than when she entered the gate.
Lippy: You… what have you done to Lady Sara!?
Kana: You didn't… you can't have cast another spell of suggestion--!
Feil chuckles, gesturing broadly as he speaks to us.
Feil: I wouldn't do that. In fact, I mustn't.
Feil: All of this has to be through her own will.
Feil: I really didn't do anything. On the contrary, I gave her a chance to resolve this situation.
Feil: She's the one who let that chance slip by, through her own decisions.
Feil: Well, since they're all here, why don't you give it another try, Sara?
A crystal of light materializes in Feil's hand.
Kana: That's Sara's…!
We make as if to move forward--
Feil: Don't move! Including you hiding behind the pillar.
Feil's voice is cutting.


At the same time, he reveals someone's hiding spot.
The other group, charged with securing Sara and her sight, traversed the other route that Lippy found and hid themselves for a surprise attack…
Not yet… he hasn't found everyone yet.
If we can just take that back…
Then, as if to mock our thoughts, Feil places the crystal in Sara's hand.
Link: --!?
This is unexpected.
He could control us just by possessing it, but he handed it over to Sara so readily.
Feil: Now, go ahead. Everyone's watching.
Feil: If you destroy it, I won't do anything to your friends.
What's he -- no! Stop!
This attempt to make her waver must be connected to his goal.
By making her weigh her "self" against her "friends", he's trying to sow a seed in her heart.
That's probably--
Feil: Now, Sara. If you really care for everyone -- then destroy your eyes.
For a moment, the weight in her palms makes Sara hesitate.
But then her lips firm as if she's made her decision. Slowly, she draws her sword.
Link: Stop! Sara!
Feil: Oh, so you've made up your mind. Go ahead, then.
Feil: All you have to do is cut right where you feel it in your hand. You can't miss, even if you can't see.
Link: No, Sara! You don't have to do this!
I shout so as to drown out Feil's hated voice.
Feil: Is that because you think someone up near the ceiling will do something?


Lippy: Another location…!
Feil looks to his upper right, as if confirming the position.
Ugh--!
Not yet! This isn't over yet!
There's a way! We still have a way…!
Feil: Will the last one grant your wish…?
Feil: But it won't matter if Sara uses her sword. She'll be able to solve this by herself.
At his malicious muttering--
Sara brandishes her sword with a sudden jerk.
If she swings it to the side… then her eyes…
Sara: Link… everyone…
In the next moment--
As everything comes to a halt--
Clatter. There's the sound of metal hitting the floor.
Sara: ...sorry… everyone…
It was the sound of something falling from Sara's hand.
She let go of her sword, and the hilt hit the floor.
Sara: ...I'm sorry… I… I can't…! I can't do it…!
Sara: I tried so many times… but I can't…
Lippy: Many times… you say…?
Sara: I know you'll all get hurt… as long as this exists!
Sara: But if I lose it…
Sara: Then I can't be with you anymore…
Kana: Sara… what… do you mean?
Sara: I don't… want… no… sorry… I… [1]
Sara: I hate… myself!!!!!!!!
She screams--
As if in reaction, the magic circle begins to emit a dark glow.
Link: --!?
The overflowing miasma wraps around Sara, hiding her from view.
Seeing that, Feil guffaws.
Feil: Ahahahahahaha! That's right! You failed again!
The darkness creeps over the fallen crystal, and he picks it up again with an expression of pure joy.
Feil: Even now, at a time like this!
Feil: Even when you say it's for your friends, you still can't throw yourself away!
Feil: So many of your friends will get hurt, but you've chosen to protect your own feelings.
Feil: It's your weakness that will hurt your friends!
Link: Shut up, Feil! --Sara, you mustn't listen to him!
My voice is erased by the roar of the swirling miasma.
It roils around and envelops our friend, almost like it's alive.
Feil: That feeling -- it's the final key to bring forth the darkness.
Feil: And this crystal bathed in moonlight will amplify the power of the circle!
Feil: The stage is set! Come forth! Asmodeus!!!
A moment later, the magic circle emits a dark light.
The huge crystal and the connected magic device turn pitch-black, and giant hands begin to creep forth.
Ohhhhhhhhhh...!
Feil: I'll use the darkness overtaking her heart to turn this girl into the ultimate demon!
Feil: Nidhogg could even crush the stars. But there was one thing it couldn't destroy.
Feil: In this form, she can destroy even the bonds between you!
--And then--
One of the huge hands grabs Sara.
It pulls her into the pitch-black crystal, swallowing her.
At that moment, the inside of my head goes white--
Link: Saraaaaaaaaaaaa!
I scream, and the shock in my heart compels my whole body to move.
Is this the right time to act -- I'm not thinking of that at all--
I just fling myself forward, clawing through the swirling miasma, moving forward.
--Even in my disordered thoughts, there is one feeling in my chest that is absolutely certain.

"Everyone" -- is definitely--
Running for Sara right now--


[1] at this point, Sara goes from referring to herself using kanji 私 (watashi) to the kana form わたし (watashi). This is the same thing that's been happening in the "black screen" flashback segments throughout the chapter, where the kana form is used to show her thoughts and feelings as a child. It's a textual reference to how that is affecting her now.

No comments:

Post a Comment