Tuesday, February 11, 2020

Tales of Link, main story: 2.5.04 - Opposing Feelings, End

Zephyr again, for all but the blacked-out first part! someday I'll find a good catch-all term for the "slightly off, not quite right" word in the titles orz.

Tales of Link
Starlight Sinking Into the Blue
Chapter 5: An Off-Kilter World
Scene 4: Opposing Feelings, End
raw video link here!


My body hurts all over.
But the left side of my chest hurts the most.
Something is grinding inside me.
But -- much, much more than I am--

My partner is in bad shape. I'm worried about him, so I call out to him after we've left the tent.
Zephyr: Allen…
Allen had been walking ahead of me, but now he stops completely.
Zephyr: I won't ask what's wrong. I know how you feel.
I move to stand next to him as I speak.
Zephyr: But at times like this, you--
I catch his expression out of the corner of my eye and draw in a sharp breath.
Link: ...sorry… I'm gonna go wash my face at the stream… I want to be alone for a while.
Zephyr: ...yeah… okay. You're still not all better. Don't go too far.
It takes everything I have to answer that way.
Allen heads to the stream downhill.
Opposite him, Yuri heads toward me, just finishing drawing water from the stream.
The moment he passes Allen, his expression takes on a look of surprise.
Yuri must've seen Allen's face too.
Yuri: Link… is he okay…?
Of course he would think that.
Normally Allen would never wear an expression like that.
He's just managing to hold it back, but lying behind that expression--

--That expression is one that only I know.
I saw it many times, over and over, during the spiral.
It's different from the anger at losing a friend in battle.
He only looked like that when he lost Sara. Mixed in with his fury--
There's a fragment of emotion that only ever showed then.
I don't know whether to call it a blessing… I'm just glad Sara couldn't see his expression.
That's how badly I didn't want her to witness it.
I can't forgive Feil.
But I know his ways.
If we allow ourselves to be manipulated now, we'll be doing just what he wants.
Zephyr: ...like we'd let that happen again...
Me -- and my friends--

No comments:

Post a Comment