Friday, February 14, 2020

Tales of Link, main story: 2.5.05 - In the Shadow of Kindness, Start

starts off on Sara, then moves to Kana!

Tales of Link
Starlight Sinking Into the Blue
Chapter 5: An Off-Kilter World
Scene 5: In the Shadow of Kindness, Start
raw video link here!


Everyone is really eager to help me.
Thank you. You're all so important to me. I love you.
But I -- I've started thinking about me.

I can't see.
I can't see everyone's smiles.
The feelings I threw under the surface send out ripples and disturb my heart.
A noisy, restless voice rises up from the deep.
"Don't leave me."
A child's voice.
Right now, there is nothing before me but that voice, the voice that has always been inside my heart.



Each day feels so long.
First we have to heal. We can't do anything else, so we're stuck resting in the tent without pushing ourselves.
When the sun is at its highest, Zephyr and Allen come to check on Sara.
When that happens, Sara tries her hardest to act cheerful so they won't worry.
Sara's really strong and kind, but…
But…

Kana: Hey, Sara?
Sara: ...hm? What is it, Kana?
Kana: Are you okay?
As soon as the words are out of my mouth, I take them back.
Kana: Sorry. --You're not okay, huh.
Sara: Ahaha. No, I'm okay. Thanks. Don't worry. You should be more worried about yourself.
Kana: I'm totally fine now. Most of my injuries are healed too!
I raise my arm to flex it -- and when I do, a sharp pain runs through it.
Kana: --Ow!
Sara: Geez. You pushed yourself too hard, didn't you? You're still in pain… it's my fault. I'm sorry.
Kana: That's not true at all. It's not your fault.
Kana: It's his fault.
I remember his face.
--We saw him a few days ago. It was the face of a demon.

--I saw his face that day.
What I saw long ago was a kind "act."
It was all so he could use me.
That's why… he really was… something like a demon…

--Then.
Sara: ...hmm… are you hiding something, Kana?
Kana: Huh…?
Sara: Um… I just noticed that that's not how you'd usually say it.
Oh, maybe.
No, that's right -- that might be true…
Sara: It's been bothering me. Kana, you remember…
Sara: ...and childhood memories are particularly special. Sometimes you just happen to remember, right…?
Memories…
Sara: Even the things you don't usually think about grow bigger inside your heart…
Maybe Sara has noticed.
My memories--
Sara: Kana, you're strong, but you're also kind. There's no way you're okay.
It's true that there are feelings inside me that I don't really understand.
Sara cares about her sight, but she's still thinking of me…
I can't let myself give in to her kindness.
That's right.
I shouldn't forget he's our enemy.
Who should I be angry at?
I can't… get it wrong…
Kana: Sara… I'm calm.
Kana: ...That's not it. I know what's important to me. I'll fight. We'll definitely get your sight back.
Sara: You really are strong, Kana…
Kana: ...Sara?
What is this?
Her voice sounds as if she's muttering to something far away.
But I don't have time to give voice to my uneasiness.
Sara: Okay! Kana--
Sara tries to stand--
Sara: Waah!?
She shakes and loses her balance.
Kana: Sara!?
I grab hold of Sara as she leans over.
Sara: Ahaha. I was going to move toward you, but I lost my balance.
Sara: I've never stayed still for this long before.
Sara: This is backwards, huh?
Kana: ...ughhh. You make it sound like I'm always tripping.
Sara; Sorry, sorry. I didn't mean it. ...I wanted to do this.
Sara moves her hand awkwardly, looking for my shoulder.
She finds my collarbone by touch, and using that as a guide, reaches her hand around my back.


--fwomp. Sara hugs me to her chest.
Sara: Ehehe. Your big sis will comfort you.
Her tone treats me like a little sister, like always--
Sara speaks jokingly.
Even though this must be really, really hard for her.
Kana. Yeah. Thanks, Sara.
Sara: ...there, there.
Sara: It's okay, Kana. Zephyr, Link, Lippy… and me. We'll always be here for you.
Her voice speaks to me, kind as always.
Her arms around me gently stroke my back.
--But… I don't really get why--
...I feel like her hands aren't same as the ones that have held me before.

No comments:

Post a Comment