Saturday, February 22, 2020

Tales of Link, main story: 2.5.06 - In the Shadow of Kindness, End

Kana this time!

Tales of Link
Starlight Sinking Into the Blue
Chapter 5: An Off-Kilter World
Scene 6: In the Shadow of Kindness, End
raw video link here!


Four days after our escape--
Kana: One… and two…
Today it's my job to carry water from the stream.
Little by little, everyone is starting to get better.
But we're still not back up to full strength, and it'll take a bit more time before we can move around well enough to fight.
Once we can move--
We're going to go save Sara's sight.
Kana: ...and him…
...that's right… we'll go beat him…
I'm lost in my whirl of thoughts. I space out as I walk--
?????: ...hey, watch your step--
Kana: Huh?
Whose voice is that? --I don't even have time to wonder.
I stumble on the big rock under my foot and lose my balance--
Kana: Waaah!
I completely fall over, and as a result--
Splaaaaash!
I'm soaked from head to toe.
Velvet: ...what are you even doing…
The person who witnessed that, Velvet, is wearing an exasperated expression.
Kana: ...tahaha…
Velvet: Honestly… it's because you weren't paying attention while you were walking. It's not my fault if you get hurt.
Kana: Ehehe. Well, it happens all the time. I'm fine. Anyway, did you need something?
Velvet: Right… it looks like you've settled down. I wanted to ask you something.
Kana: What?
Then -- her sharp gaze catches hold of me.
Velvet: Tell me what you know about that man.
Kana: ...ah…
...that's right.
We've all been really worked up and haven't explained anything yet.
Velvet: Don't get me wrong. I don't think it's your fault things turned out this way. I just want information on our enemy.
Kana: ...yeah. Right. That makes sense.
I have to tell Velvet.
Kana: He's…
Little by little, I tell Velvet about our adventure.

--The Goddess Leone has forbidden us from talking about reincarnation, so I leave that part out.
--How we met on a journey to fulfill "his" ambitions.
How I became "his" hostage as part of it, and how we were separated.
How this and that happened, and we'd beaten "them" and were able to continue our journey.
I also have to tell her about my connection with "him."
How we once lived together as family--

Velvet: ...I see.
Kana: ...I'm sorry for getting you involved.
Velvet: You don't have to apologize. I was there because I wanted to be.
Kana: ...yeah.
Velvet: ...sorry.
Kana: Huh?
Velvet: I made you remember something unpleasant.
Kana: ...no… not really. It happened a really, really long time ago.
Velvet: ...your face tells a different story.
Kana: …
Oh. So that's the kind of face I'm making.
My feelings are conflicted, something like surprise and something like agreement.
Velvet: Are you… unsure about fighting?
Velvet: If you're not prepared after all he's done, you should give up.
I wonder… if I'm unsure…
Kana: He did so many terrible things…
Kana: When I was a kid, I trusted him from the bottom of my heart… and loved him with all my heart…
It wasn't because he forced me to or anything. Maybe it's because he was so straightforward that he was able to bind me to him so well.
Like how he bought me toys when I was small.
Or how he bought a cake to celebrate my birthday.
I smiled at all those times.
Kana: But then, how much of that was the real Feil...
He'd put me completely under a curse, and I hadn't noticed at all.
I can't tell how much of it he really meant.
He placed a curse on me during those happy days.
Even though we have to fight each other. Even though we have to beat him, for Sara's and everyone's sakes.
The memories I carry in my heart weaken my resolve.
Velvet: ...you're so naive. All he ever did was use and try to kill you.
I know that in my head.
But no matter how much ill will he had, for me, those memories remain precious in my heart.
I look down, to where my expression is reflected in the surface of the stream.
My reflection is distorted by the wavering water--
I don't know what kind of face I'm really making.
Will I fight against him with this face?
He'll definitely see right through me.
Then he'll use me.
That's the way he is.
And because that's the way he is--
Kana: ...we have to beat him…
Velvet: ...I'm not one of you.
Velvet: I can't say I know how you feel. I'll just do what I have to.
Kana: ...thanks.
Velvet: I didn't say anything to be grateful for.
She speaks brusquely, as if to say this conversation is over.
Velvet: ...in any case, I have to get my power back.
Velvet: I intend to set out as soon as I've healed.
--Then.
Velvet: Your name is Kana, isn't it?
It's the first time Velvet has called my name.
Velvet: Kana. It's a waste of time wondering how much of it was real.
Velvet: Think about what you want to do and decide from there.
Her voice is quiet but very forceful.
Her willpower shines in her eyes.
Velvet returns to the camp, leaving me with the impression of her strong gaze.
...that's right.
I have to sense where the light is and move toward it.
That's how I've lived till now.
--I'll find the light.
My memories -- time -- my heart -- the people I want to be with--
My heart is full to overflowing with feelings.
I'll find the light that I believe in.
--and there.
Zephyr: Hey, Kana? How long does it take you to fetch water?
Zephyr appears. It looks like I was gone so long he got worried and came down to the stream.
Zephyr: ...uh, hey. What happened? You're soaked.
Zephyr: Let's see. You fell over again and landed in the stream, didn't you?
Kana: Tahaha…
His guess is pretty close. I scratch my head and don't answer.

No comments:

Post a Comment