Monday, March 2, 2020

Tales of Link, main story: 2.5.08 - The Sound of Waves, End

happy sixth anniversary, Link!!! I still love you. please give me the new MAs in Rays in acknowledgement of this.

Tales of Link
Starlight Sinking Into the Blue
Chapter 5: An Off-Kilter World
Scene 8: The Sound of Waves, End
raw video link here!


Slowly, slowly-
We walk one step at a time, finally reaching the beach past the forest.
Across from the cliff where the ship is moored is a shore lapped by gentle waves.
We stand side-by-side at a place a little removed from the waves.
Link: ...this way. Do you want to get a little closer?
Sara: No… this is fine. Thanks.
Sara: ...the ocean…
We face the sound of the waves and the sea breeze, and Sara murmurs, deeply moved.
Sara: The ocean is there, isn't it?
Link: Yeah.
Sara: The breeze… feels so nice… I can hear the sound of waves.
Sara: The distance and the strength of the waves. Even if I can't see them, they show up in my mind's eye.
Sara:  I was raised by the ocean, after all.
Sara's voice is soft.
Even if it's only a little, the ocean soothes Sara's feelings.
While I think that, Sara continues to speak.
Sara: Do you remember the island I mentioned when we reached my village?
Link: You mean the place you said you used to swim to a lot?
Sara: Yeah. Sometimes… when I was a kid, I wanted to be alone.
Sara: I had my very own secret base.
Sara: On the other side of the island was a cove where the seawater had pooled. I built it next to that.
Sara: Well, it was more like a kid's house built out of driftwood and leaves.
Sara: I would swim and dive and nap in that house until my mind was blank -- bathing in the wind and waves just like now.
Sara: When I did, my feelings would calm and I would cheer up.
Link: So that's why you wanted to come to the ocean.
Sara: Yeah, that's right. It's like… a good luck charm from when I was a child.
A charm from Sara's memories, which would calm her feelings and cheer her up.
...huh?
...she said she'd go to the ocean when she wanted to be alone…
Link: I'm sorry.
Sara: Huh?
Link: You actually wanted to come alone, right?
Sara: ...ah…
She falls silent for a moment, searching for words.
Her confusion and hesitation are clear on her face.
But even knowing that I see that, she still smiles anyway.
Sara: Hey… Link?
Sara: To tell the truth, there's… something that's bothered me ever since I was a kid.
Sara: While we were traveling, I was with everyone, so I didn't think about it.
Sara: ...we met my mother and father, so I started to remember my childhood… and now my body's like this.
Sara: I've been thinking about it a lot.
Link: What--
"--Is it?" I don't have a chance to finish. Sara interrupts me and continues.
Sara: What if--
Sara is wearing an expression I'm seeing for the first time in our long, long journey.
A faint smile containing many different feelings.
Sara: If I--

How about you finish this talk later, Sara?

Sara: --!?
In a single instant--
When I turn my gaze toward the source of the voice, I see a gate made from a translocation spell like the one we used.
The darkness swirls ominously, and several shadows emerge, heading towards Sara.
Link: Sara! Run!
Sara: Huh!?
As I warn her of the danger, I cast a spell aimed at the shadows.
--But.
I'm not in top form, and that affects the result.
The moment I gather magical power, a sharp pain lances through my head.
I lose control of the spell I forced myself to cast and it flies in a different direction.
Link: Ugh…!
If I was my usual self, I would have shot straight through the monsters.
And if Sara were her usual self, she would…
Sara: Ahhh!?
She would move nimbly and dodge the arms of the monsters that seek to grab her.
Link: Sara!
???: Don't move, Link. Do you want me to repeat what I told you a few days ago?
A person emerges from the gate slowly.
It's a man with a smirk plastered across his face--
Feil: Hey. It's been a while.
Sara: ...Feil…!

No comments:

Post a Comment