Wednesday, December 11, 2019

Tales of Link, main story: 2.3.06 - Barracks ~Infiltration Start~, End

anyone else have Nidhogg's sound effect forever associated with a sense of terror? anyway, this is about the chapter where I started quietly screaming.

Tales of Link
Starlight Sinking Into the Blue
Chapter 3: Infiltration and Investigation
Scene 6: Barracks ~Infiltration Start~, End
raw video link here!


We head deeper into the barracks and manage to make our way without the other soldiers noticing us.
There are a lot of close calls, but I manage to locate most of the soldiers' positions using detection artes. Sesque confirms the information, and we make our way through.
Zephyr: ...Somehow we got here without being found out.
Yuri: Looks like Clariye's soldiers are even more lax than a certain someone.
Sesque: Haha… that hurts to hear.
We keep walking until we see a door.
Sara: So the room with the magic circle is behind this door.
Sesque: Yeah, that's right.
Yuri: ...then let's take a look.
Zephyr: Wait a second before we go in. I'm going to use a detection arte just in case.
--There's no signal from my arte. There's no sign of people within the room or anywhere around us.
Zephyr: We're good to go. I don't sense anyone around. Now's the time to go in.
Yuri: Okay. I'm opening it.
Creaaak…
The room is bigger than I thought.
Yuri: ...this room… what was it originally used for?
Sesque: It was a training room for the soldiers. ...About six months ago, they suddenly started bringing in all sorts of strange equipment, and this is the result.
Yuri: Is that the circle?
In the very center of the room, a circular magic spell is written on the floor.
It's about half as big as the room.
Zephyr: I'll look into the spell. We don't know what it does, so don't get too close. The rest of you see if there's anything else here.
I watch Yuri, Sara, and Sesque spread out across the room--
Then I place my hand on the circle.
I close my eyes and check the circle's composition--
I interrupt the flow of power, the magic, and unravel it.
There should be a "formula" for what this spell is for…
I decipher what has happened here from the flow of magic and the composition of the circle.
When I figure it out, a picture appears in my brain -- the basic image manifests in my head.

But this is… a pretty complicated formula…
Someone stands in the magic circle--
Then the spell activates and the power flows through it.
The flow of power twines like ivy through their bodies and interferes with the magic that circulates inside of them.
--What is this… movement...?
It's reaching as if searching for the presence of a particular magic.
Then when it finds that particular magic--
The twining ivy grabs hold of it--


--!?
A chill runs through me.


I know my whole body has broken into a sweat.
The closer I get to the heart of the spell… the more I feel a sense of revulsion so strong I could vomit.
In other words -- it's dark sorcery, a type of magic. An evil presence so strong it shakes me to my core.

Sara: Zephyr!? Are you all right!?
Zephyr: I'm fine… I'm just… a bit shaken by the evil from this circle…
This circle is really dangerous--
My senses as an envoy are telling me I absolutely cannot leave it as it is.
I have to figure out what kind of spell it is in order to seal it.
Zephyr: ...I'll know… if I touch it a little longer…
--Then.
??: You… what are you doing there?
A voice rings out from behind me.
Zephyr: Wha!?
When I turn around, there are Clariye soldiers lined up in front of the door.
Yuri: Hey now. Didn't you say you didn't sense anyone?
...I definitely didn't sense anyone before--
Even now, the detection arte I have laid out around us isn't telling me anything.
...What in the world is this…?

No comments:

Post a Comment